When Jeremy Hayden walked into my head and introduced himself (I know that sounds weird, but it seemed like it happened that way) I felt like I’d hit the character jackpot. He brought with him a history, a playful sense of humour, a very specific dress sense, and a fully realised occupation. Jeremy owned his own successful pop culture store. This was exciting for me because I knew it would be my opportunity to do something fun, litter a book with references to my favourite fandoms.
Since the release of All the Broken Pieces, I’ve had a number of readers ask about or refer to the various references. So, today I thought I’d make a list of all the Fandoms referenced in the book. Kudos to anyone who can spot them in the pages.
- Doctor Who x 3 (because who doesn’t love The Doctor?)
- Star Wars
- Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire (depending on whether you watch the show or read the books)
- How I Met Your Mother
- The Avengers
- Avatar: The Last Airbender (hands down the best children’s show ever made)
- Archer x 2
- The Princess Bride x about 6
- Harry Potter x 2
- SKAM (the original Norwegian version)
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer
- John Wick
- One Tree Hill
- The Legend of Korra (sequel to the Avatar series)
Wow! That’s a lot of references. I was surprised myself when I went back through the book to make the list. Some of them are pretty obscure but, fans are good at obscure. If you were reading the book and wondered, is that a such-and-such reference, this list will give you the answer.