The Experiment: The Soundtrack
Music has always played a big part in my life and every book I write comes with its own soundtrack. Book soundtracks are invaluable as they keep me focused on the current book, even when I'm not writing. I listen to them when I'm driving in the car, cooking bacon and eggs for a big Sunday breakfast, even when I'm doing the ironing. Often little snippets of lyric will spark an idea that will turn out to be just the thing I need to solve a plot problem or figure out why a character is insisting on doing whatever it is they're doing (rather than what I want them to do). Today, I wanted to share the music that inspired me while I was writing The Experiment.
To check out the individual songs on YouTube, just follow the links below. Happy listening!
- Through Glass - Hands Like Houses (Theme Song Alert! From one of my favourite Australian bands)
- Scattered Parts - Emptyself (Patrick's self-awareness obsession - in song form!)
- Don't Mind Me - Walking on Cars ("We've got nothing to lose, except everything we have." A song for Logan)
- Comedown - Bush (An older song, this was the first one to be added to the soundtrack back when I originally had the idea for the book.)
- Gravity (Stripped) - Wage War (We have to let go of the past before we can embrace a better kind of future)
- Born (Part 2) - Dead Letter Circus (Another awesome Aussie band)
- Say It First - Sam Smith (This song is 100% Logan.)
- Momentary - Hands Like Houses (Yeah. I listened to a lot of Hands Like Houses while I wrote TE. It was a whole thing.)
- Trouble I'm In - Twinbed (Set after the dinner with Patrick's family)
- Throw It All Away - Staind (I'm a huge Staind fan and I've waited years for a character that matched this song. Logan is that character. Perfection.)
- Someone You Loved - Lewis Capaldi (This song breaks my heart every time. Logan's low point.)
- To Myself - Alfie Arcuri (Who doesn't love a Patrick epiphany?)
- No Parallels - Hands Like Houses (Every great romance has a happy ending and so should the soundtrack. "This is happiness. To be everything at once. Be unblinded and unlearned. Be unbridled and unburned.")
I hope you enjoy checking out my soundtrack for The Experiment. Don't forget, the soundtracks for all my other books are also available on Spotify.